A. Ear Training
1. Sing and recognize whole steps and half steps by ear
2. Sing and recognize intervals within the major scale
3. Sing and recognize intervals within minor scale
4. Understand, recognize, learn and create harmonies
5. Create melodies over basic chord progressions
6. Improvise harmonies and melodies with other singers
B. Music Theory
1. Create major and minor chords on either piano or guitar
2. Create 7th and major 7th chords on either piano or guitar
3. Understand the basic “1, 4, 5” chord progression
4. Find the relative minor in any key
5. Transpose songs using “numbers” system
C. Skill Evaluation
1. Pitch and Timing: ability to sing a cappella or with accompaniment without pitch, timing or
2. Technique: Sings completely without tension, from lowest note in range to highest note in range.
Ability to sing long, complex phrases on single breath with proper support. Achieve vocal goals
set by student and instructor.
3. Registration: ability to sing phrases in lower, modal and upper register. Ability to blend lower and
upper register for seamless transition throughout range.
4. Placement: ability to demonstrate different types of resonance on the same pitch.
5. Volume: demonstrates volume control regardless of pitch.
D. Song Projects
Songwriters / Bands
1. Seven cover songs. Three chosen by student, four “Mel Picks.”
2. Five NEW original* songs composed, rehearsed and arranged. *If the band is not all original,
five songs for the artist’s set must be rehearsed and arranged.
Music Majors / Music Theater Majors
1. Seven cover songs. Three chosen by student, four “Mel Picks”
2. Five audition pieces prepared. Completion of audition book, including song selection, song
mastery, headshot, resume, cover letter, sheet music and recorded accompaniment.
Six performances of at least one song in public venue
Practice as required for each lesson. Demonstrate a commitment to improvement and creativity.
G. Health and Wellness
Be aware of what foods/beverages affect your singing, your moods and your energy levels.
Maintain a fitness routine: sport, dance, or workouts